Comprehensive Infrastructure Upgrade in less than a year.
Table of Contents
The building is a 29-Story skyscraper that spans 719,000 square feet, located in Midtown Manhattan. The building was constructed in 1982 and the mechanical infrastructure was original to the building’s construction.
Building ownership was looking to upgrade much of its critical mechanical infrastructure that was outdated and original to the 1982 construction. The building was planning for a major tenant turnover and wanted to leverage the opportunity to perform extensive upgrades over the winter-spring period, with the expectation that all cooling systems would be installed and operational by the following cooling season including all design and installation. The project was also funded by the Con Edison Demand response rebate program, worth over $1 Million in funding with extensive pre and post measurement and verification requirement.
- Peak Demand Savings: 1.5 MW
- Con Edison Rebates and Incentives: $1,070,820
- Replaced aging 850 Ton Chiller with new 1250 Ton VFD chiller (60% more efficient)
- Added 40 VFDs to Tenant AHU Fans
- Upgrading the Building Management System (BMS)
- Replace AHU cooling coils and drain pans
- Replace AHU CHW control valves
- Replace AHU OA Dampers and actuators
- Added VFDs on CHW Pumps
- Added demand response control sequences to enable future dynamic demand reduction
Smith Engineering Services
Rebates and Incentive Management – Managed the entire financial incentive program including application, demand reduction calculations, and successful completion and measured success by Con Edison
Chiller Replacements or Upgrades – Design services, construction administration, system start-up for the new 1,250 ton 19XRV Water-Cooled Centrifugal Chillers
VFD Replacements or Upgrades – Design services, construction administration, system start-up for the new VFDs on the 40 AHUs and 3 CHW Pumps
Automation/Controls Replacements or Upgrades – Design services for the replacement of the Building Automation System with ALC WebCtrl Building Automation System
Replacement of all outside air intake dampers with Tamco Series 1500 Ultra-Low leakage airfoil control dampers. Replaced existing pneumatic damper actuators with motorized actuators.
Replaced existing pneumatic control valves with new DDC Belimo Energy Valves.
- Develop optimized sequences:
- Chilled Water Pump Staging
- Chilled Water Temperature Reset
- Chilled Water DP Optimization
- Chiller Staging
- Condenser Water Reset Sequence
- Generate CW reset sequence.
- Air side optimization (static reset, SAT reset, demand control ventilation, virtual economizer)
- Demand response air-side resets
Performed design and start-up services for the ALC WebCtrl Building Automation system.